Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Is fifty nifty???

YES!
I turned 50 on the 30th of November.  I was not necessarily looking forward to this birthday nor dreading it.  My birthday has always been a bit bittersweet for me.  I was born on the first anniversary of my maternal grandfather's death.  I was his oldest grandchild.  I guess I looked somewhat like him...  I hear it was a good thing...my birth that day, but every year without fail, someone would remind me of that.  Honestly, I have always felt sort of a connection to him, this man I never knew personally.  And in someways felt a bit cheated that life dealt me that hand that I would not enjoy this man as a grandfather in my life.  With that said, my paternal grandfather was a great guy and I loved him and enjoyed the time I spent with him.  My grandmothers were awesome, and I am sure that I was privileged to spend more time with my maternal grandmother than a little girl probably should have, and it was great.  My grandma Gill was a big part of my life and she took me along a lot.  I remember one day walking down town Payette, Idaho (woohoo!).  I don't remember what I was doing, but obviously something my own mother did not think I should.  She told me I was being bad...LOL!  What I do remember was the talking to my own mother got from her mother...because as my Grandma said "don't tell her she is bad...she will be bad!  Tell her she is good and then she WILL be good!"  I look back and think she was a great cheerleader!  I know I didn't appreciate her near as I should have.  Widowed so young, she did spend a lot of time with us.  I know I took for granted that time far too often! 
So my family...okay my husband, decided to surprise me!  I am not a huge fan of surprises, I like to know what is going on.  But they did a great job and I was surprised.  They planned and plotted or 6 months.  He solicited specifically Chad and Rachel to head this party up, but all the kids helped and all the kids were able to come and join in.  Here are some pictures of the evening.  THANKS family!  I am so blessed to have you all.
 Yummy Cupcakes!
 Beautiful "tiffany blue" decorations.  Apparently "Breakfast at Tiffany's" came out year I was born.  I didn't know that and I have never seen it...it is on my to do list!
 Wonderful party favors!  Rachel made homemade chocolates with the help of her talented mother Vickie and I hear Vickie even spent time and taught my girls how to dip them.  Kimberly made bracelets and necklaces for all the women to "frost" themselves.  Aimee did the invites, which I don't have a picture of but they were beautiful...very elequoent.
 Here is the Instigator with one of his 10 sidekicks (miss lyds)!  She looks very guilty, don't you think?
 Here are some of the accomplices!  There are three accomplices that stayed incognito!  We know who you are!  I love you and appreciate the sacrifice you made...THANKS!

 Yummy food!

 This would be the "ring leaders"!  Hey there is Miss Lyds again...apparently she played a huge role in this event!
 Great guests!
 Students and friends.
 Friends old and new!
 Look even the Men in Black showed up!
 My Mother in law and Father in law even traveled to be here also!  That meant alot!
 Dear friends and co-workers.
 My quilting sidekick and her Marine! 
 Yep Miss Sophie was in on it too!
They started them out pretty young.  Was so good to see this little one... It was a great day and a great weekend spent with those I love most! 

2 comments:

Rachel said...

haha wow that is an odd pic of Chad and I. That was such a fun night! I am glad it was a good surprise we were a little worried it wouldnt be :)

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

When I first saw the cupcake picture. . .my first thought was "was is she posting about her birthday again?" lol- I didn't realize you hadn't posted about your own birthday yet. . .I knew I had seen those pictures in a couple of post. . .man I must be the one getting old!! Glad you had such a great birthday-so glad I was able to come and celebrate with you.