Thursday, September 30, 2010

{grand}Baby Backpack!

Our little people have accumulated lots of little things (okay that might be my fault, just saying). Anyway, little guy has some safari animals. He loves all animals and at 26 months old know the majority of the monkey kingdom by name...this will be important someday I am sure! He was with me one day at the fabric store and I saw this safari fabric and thought, I should make a bag for his animals. Well instead of a bag I made him a back pack, from the tutorial here.


It is a super easy backpack to make. I, of course didn't use the layer cake pack, but just cut my pieces accordingly. I cut the button loop 1 1/2" wide. Folded it in half and pressed and then folded the ends into the center fold. Then I stitched on both sides. I inserted the loop when stitching the flap. I also noticed that the casing piece in her instructions is too short. You will want to cut it about 28 or 29 inches and hem the two short ends.
Now our little sweetheart she needed one too. I am not sure what she will stash but I am sure Mom and Dad will be missing a few items once this gets to her house. I lined her backpack with leftover cupcake fabric...

sooo cute and embroidered a cupcake complete with a cherry on top!

This turned out better than I had envisioned. (I always love when that happens!)

Just a couple of notes on these little cuties. The shoulder straps, when making those I used a piece of leftover cotton batting to pad them and make them look like "real" backpack straps. I really did used everything from my stash for the Little Sweetheart's, her straps were leftover webbing.

I didn't have webbing to match Little Guy's so I just made straps from fabric, using the shoulder strap instructions minus batting.

Since altogether right now there are 9 1/2 little people...I am seeing a few more of these in my future...can't say I am sad about that as they are "sew" easy to make and a lot of fun! I want to try one from recycled jeans....hmmmmm.... the possibilities

5 comments:

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

So cute!!! Love the cupcake :)-now you just need two more weeks off LOL-love ya

Heidi said...

Super cute Tricia, mom told me about these cute backpacks this morning and she was right they are too cute!

Beth at Aunties said...

SEW cute! Darling! My talented friend your little ones are very lucky to have YOU to love and to sew for them.

Do you know a family by the name of Corning? My husband has a very beautiful clerk, Katie who works in His Mesa office and I believe her dad is a dentist near you.
I hope all is well with your dear ones. :)
I am so grateful for so many sweet mercies these past few months. I love the way the Lord works. All will be well here too.
Hugs!

Christy said...

Those are darling! I love the cupcake one with cherry button to close the bag. How cute! How are things going for you mom? I sure do miss coming over to your house and just chatting for hours on end and eating cookies! love you!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Hi Tricia! I just read your comment on my blog about your Post office. I totally agree. One person can make a world of difference. I also was going to tell you that I submitted what I wrote about Becky as a letter to the editor of our local paper and they published it on Christmas Eve. I have yet to see it myself, but I heard from others that it was in there. Becky doesn't know about my blog, but I'm hoping that people brought her the paper and that it was a nice Christmas gift for her to receive. Also, when I went in on Thursday...she had cookies out as a thank you to her customers and a punch bowl and everything! What a gal!