Thursday, April 7, 2011

Birthday Quilts!

Remember this post?  I really do...but I haven't been very motivated about it either.  I have just finished two quilts so far...yes, that leaves 48 to complete my goal.   Here are the quilts and then maybe we will talk about what I am learning....
This first one is from a kit, I ordered from Quilts for Kids.  I feel it is a great organization, and also Project Linus is too.  Anyway, I am not even going to say how long I have had the kit but here is the finished product.  Pretty cute!  They sent me the fabric for the top (all cut I might add) and the backing.  I added batting and a binding fabric.
 I did the faux piped binding technique on this one.  I really do love that look and although it is a bit more time consuming to do up front in the end it saves time.  (Especially if you are not a quick hand stitcher)
 I machine quilted it in a slate gray thread to blend with most the colors and use Chinese Cresants pantograph to quilt.  I like that panto and it reminds me of flames...kind of fitting for a camping trip.  The backing is just too fun and not something I would have picked on my own for a quilt.  I makes me want to jump in an RV and head to the mountains. 
 Of course no quilt post is complete without the folded washed quilt pictures...fortunately they want the quilts all washed before they are sent out.  So in the mail today goes "Happy Camper"

This is my second charity quilt for this year.  I call it "Cupcake Sweet".  I used scraps for this one.  I must say I really love this Kaufman cupcake print.  I found it at JoAnn's and used it for Amea's quilt last year.  The pattern for these two quilts is one that Quilt for Kids provides on their website to use for donation quilts.  It is quick and easy to do.  I did have to go back and find the turquoise blue fabric, as I was one inner border strip short.  I bought what was left on the bolt...cuz I love it so much!  Then decided to bind it in the blue!  I love that too!




A traditional binding!  It has been awhile since I did just a traditional binding.  It was fun to have a hand project to work on during movie watching time.  I machine quilted this in pale pink thread with the Frisky Feathers Pantograph. LOVE IT!

 Here is the back.  Now one of my things with the charity quilts is to make them as cute and fun as possible and spend the least amount of monies doing it.  I had a light pink tonal to use for the back, honestly thought it was big enough until I went to put it on the frame....Yeah, too narrow.  I had some leftover blocks....used those along with some leftover flying geese from baby Amea's quilt....voila a fun back!  Maybe I should have named it "Leftover Cupcakes".
 My only hope is that these little quilts bring comfort to the recipients and their families, and have a long life comforting these sick little ones.
 So I better get back to the sewin room...since I am terribly behind in sewing quilts! 

6 comments:

Nat said...

Love them!

Cassie said...

Both of those quilts look amazing! I can not wait to try making a quilt soon!!!

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

These are so cute!! I vote for the name Leftover cupcakes!! Not that anyone would ever have leftover cupcakes :)- I love that fabric too!! I know these will make two little kids so happy-it works at our house. . .one might even love it so much he chews it to pieces :)

Christy said...

Those are great! Love the "left over" cupcake one. hehe. Good job MomC!

Rachel said...

They turned out cute! And you have plenty of time to finish your goal since you are only 35 right?! :)

Pattie D said...

I love Rachel! And yes of course I am only 35!