Saturday, October 24, 2009

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

You all thought you were going to see snow....not even close! It was 99 degrees last Saturday and while it has cooled off (I am so grateful!) It has still been in the mid to upper 80's this week.

No, I have to make my own Winter Wonderland here....
I *heart* SNOWMEN!
Snowmen take me right back to my childhood, to simple times, to lots of snow in the winter, to warm cozy houses (my house here only seems to be warm in the summer...LOL), to hot chocolate and warm socks.

So when my sister in law offered a snowman quilt kit a few years ago (I'll post the finished tops in the next couple of days..I haven't quilted them yet), I jumped at the chance...okay I didn't jump, but as soon as I saw it in person I was hooked. I have made two different snowmen quilts since then and this is my third...I am behind, I had the kit a year before I started on it but isn't it nice our UFO keep!

Here is the final design (pattern front):

There are 10 stitched blocks, ranging in size from 6 1/2 x 14 to 16 x 24, and lots of varies sized in between. Rena is fantabulous at picking colors and patterns. I miss living close and seeing her excitement for fabric. You can visit her shop website here.

Sorry you can really see the blue marker in some of these. These are raw finishes, meaning I haven't trimmed them yet and I won't wash them until the quilt is finished.

This is the holly leaves and berries...sorry hard to see.


I started this project on our summer trip with the Travelers to Cottage Grove Oregon


This is actually the block I am currently working on. It is very wrinkled, it was *wadded* up in my bag. I haven't had it out since we came home from Oklahoma. I still have a good evening work on it...maybe there will be a good movie on tonight....(a girl can hope!)

Two blocks with words in them. This verse just makes me want to sip hot chocolate in front of the fireplace.
And this one, the first one I did makes me still giggle....Snow angels are just fun!
This block should be dedicated to my first trip down the slopes! No laughing Kimberly and Alex!
This isn't the best picture of all the fabrics, but I don't dare take them out of their designated bag. Like I said Rena is fantabulous at picking fabric combos and this quilt is just no exception to her talent. I LOVE these combinations and am excited to get the patchwork block done....I just made myself a promise I wouldn't start sewing blocks until the stitching was done...two blocks left!

Here was this weeks project! Neck pillows for the four youngest grandkiddles. We are planning a road trip out to Oklahoma for Thanksgiving and thought neck pillows would help the two little ones we will be traveling with. I found this pattern online, can't remember the blog or I would totally give her credit. We didn't use stuffed animals, we used the hand puppets that are currently being sold at Costco.
Here is my little helper modeling his pillow....Have pillow will travel!
Here he is ready for travel in the deep jungles of Africa! He has such personality...he always has something fun to show us!
We are off on ADVENTURE!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought a neck pillow similar to the ones you made. Yours look so much cuter! (and thinner, which is better for little necks)

Christy said...

What a cute post! I absolutely LOVED the snowmans!!! They are so stinkin' cute! I can't wait to see it all put together. Cute neck pillows too! So creative! Have fun in Oklahoma with everyone. Is Chad, Seth and Amy and their spouses and kids all going too?!

Dawnise said...

Great job on the quilt blocks mom! They all look great! That little Tykell is such a card! Kaylie says to give Tykell Petty a hug for her!

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

WAY CUTE mom!! i love it-can't wait to see it all together-Your so talented-the stitching is just perfect- i love that look!

Beth at Aunties said...

Tricia,
Look at ALL of that ahnd stitching! Beatifully done, The pictures all bring back fun memories of my childhood too as we lived on the a mountain and our street was known as sleigh hill. (in Pocatello) Your quilt will be suso funa dn a wonderful addition to your Christmas decor.
I adore the neck pillows. Did you just stuff the puppets you found at Costco. I want to make some for our small fry also. SO CUTE!
It seems you have been so busy but then is there any other way of living?
Did you also know a Jake and Abbie L****? They had a sweet tiny daughter Sophie. He was going to law school. They had a mountain behind their home there in Tucson, which reminded me of a sleeping a teddy bear. Jacob is our nephew... Just wondering.

Have a great time for Thanksgiving! It is our year to be alone...as it is the other families turn to steal our kids:) but it seems we will still enjoy a house full! :-)

~♥ Blessings my internet friend!

April Garvin said...

I LOVE the snowman! It is so cute! I saw the little pillows on Aimees blog and I think it is such a good idea! They turned out darling!

Heather Magnusson said...

you continue to amaze me friend! Such amazing talent!!! So fun to see what you are currently working on... inspires me... so now maybe I'll get out the sewing machine and finish 2 quilts that are ready for binding... hee hee.

CandiShack said...

Hey there! I just wanted to come comment on your blog cuz you did on mine! Thanks for the nice comments. It's fun to hear from people - especially when you didn't know they even read your blog, ya know?

I can't believe those neck pillows!! Woah. And the snowmen - so cute. Maybe I could be that ambitious when my kids are older...do you think?? I hope! :)