Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from....

This week...Aliya, Landon, Parker and Zurie...
We have had the opportunity to babysit, watch after, take care of...what is the right words when you are the grandparent? Anyway, we have been with four of our seven grandkiddles, for the last 6 days, 4 of which without parental supervision (did you get that...their parents actually trusted us to stay with them! hee hee). I realized Sunday about 5 minutes after their parents left....we were going to have lots of things brought to our remembrance! LOL!

Their parents decided that we would go to early church meetings on Sunday so that they could get in at least one block of meetings before having to head to the airport, I am imagining they weren't even out of the parking lot when we had the first diaper call, Grandpa totally unaware of why he was being called out of meetings left only to have to come back for the diaper bag...while he was away little miss Zurie, well she didn't want to be left out of the fun, preceded to fill her pants, yes way beyond their capacity! Grandma left with out any means to fix the situation wondered how long she could wait....but wait, third child needing assistance...great a reason to leave this meeting and find Grandpa....Wow! Let's see parents have been gone....7 minutes tops! Can you see what we are in for...LOL! And just for the record we are loving every tired minute of it!
What we have learned so far:
Whatever Mommy said (or anything we think she said) is the truth and must be obeyed! (Mommy would be happy to know about this! ;))
Balls in a can that can be taken away are effective discipline devices!
All day Kindergarten is long! (But they must give them energy pills because she comes home wired!)
Dimples, can fix anything! (and get you about anything)
Lower case "g" is really hard to write.
You can take turns changing diapers
Two year olds are delightful
Three and a half year olds want to be just like Grandpa
Mommy is the most important, then Grandpa!
Little kids go to bed really early...we can watch two movies if we want!
Wal-mart is only 3 miles away...a good place to go everyday!
The Speech teacher will take your child anytime you drop them off even if it isn't the right time
Pizza Rolls should be warmed in the oven
Landon loves cake...especially in the miniature form (cupcakes)
Aliya loves cupcakes in her lunch (sorry Mom)
Parker would like his cupcake to have 4 layers...with frosting on top and between each layer.
Sticks have to carried when going to the pond, also rocks for throwing.
Perfect strangers like dimples too!
Having a two year old and three year old boy can make laundry confusing!
Two year old little boys and three year old little boys DO know whose shirt that is!
Battery operated toys with dead batteries should probably stay that way
If you are a child...Grandpa's can never give enough piggyback rides, if you are a Grandpa piggyback rides can make you REALLY tired!

Needless to say we have slept well...It will be with mixed emotions that Mommy and Daddy come home...

PS. I have been working on some quilty stuff.....I just can't upload, or is that download...heehee any pictures right now...in about a week I should be able to post some pics.

7 comments:

Andi said...

What a fun list! And I'm completely with Parker on the cupcakes...

Christy said...

HAHA! I laughed through the whole thing! How fun! Kim's kids are the cutest! I love dimples too, especially on cute kids! Glad you learned so much from Aliya, Landon, Parker and Zurie! ;)

Heather Magnusson said...

wow, sounds like you are in heaven! So glad you have been enjoying those kiddos! We miss you, but so glad you are able to enjoy!!!

Puhlman said...

All I can say is that your children are truly lucky to have parents like you that will do this for them. I SAY WOW.

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

I say wow too, thanks again for making the sacrifice, so we could have a little. . .I mean a lot of fun :)-They miss you already

Beth at Aunties said...

I love it and can so relate! I just did this myself with our daughter's four children while they went to Oregon... for a little...fun!
She left a huge long list ...yet added many soccer games and a piano lesson were thrown in for our 7 and 10 year old.
My hubby was away on church assignment for most of the time and arrived home from Hawaii the day before they returned. What joy and laughter...and a very tired grandma. (I couldn't help our Sam with his math!)
Grandpa arrived home on the redeye on Saturday morning and then on Sunday had early morning meetings at 7:00 am. So he couldn't help me get them ready. Then in our 9:00 a.m. Sacrament meeting, it was so hard with our 1 year old seeing her "bompa" up on the stand because he was our HC speaker. He had to duck behind the pulpit so she couldn't see him and then she had to be taken out while he spoke.
It was much easier before. I am so glad we had our kiddos when we were young!:-)
Then my mom arrived two days later unexpected. I am just now trying to get ready for company for conference and moving dad from a nursing home to assisted living on Saturday.
It was so fun to read your post.

Hugs my Arizona friend!

We are heading to beautiful Boise next weekend!

Beth at Aunties said...

I miss you when you don't post.

Yesterday I met a new 10 yr old nephew who lives in Tucson. He is adorable! He also has an aunt who lives in Tucson and I was wondering if you know Stacy? This is her blog.

http://theericksonfive.blogspot.com/

My brother married her mom in March. They were engaged about 40 years ago and recently found each other again. They are so exquisitely happy! I was wondering if it is as small a world as it seems sometimes and if you know this part of our new adopted family?

Hugs~♥