Thursday, July 30, 2009

Another Quilt and a vacation

This quilt was made to go in the Model A my husband helped his father restore. This past spring they have worked hard to get a 1929 Model A Travelers ready to go to meet this summer. This little vehicle is really Henry Ford's idea of a motorhome, it has a bed (albeit small), an icebox, and a water tank with a basin. I had struggled with exactly what kind of quilt to make for the bed and found this kit at one of our local quilt shops. It is a reproduction quilt from the late 1800's, I felt like it was appropriate for this car. I actually stitched the binding on the plane and finished the last side in the car as we were going to meet, so no washed quilt pictures here.



It finished at 60 x 72 and is perfect for the bed if it is folded in half (yes that "little" bed is 2 ft by 4 ft).

I just can't get away from a folded quilt picture...sorry! I did a small stipple on this quilt, it will be a utility quilt. I had visions of some heirloom quilting, feathers and such, but time did not allow for that, I took this quilt off the frame and sewed the binding on, then put it in my suitcase and headed out the door. Nothing like the last minute!



Backing was a small scale green print, I love it! I wasn't as excited about this quilt when the top was completed as when I saw it in the store, but I do think it is perfect for the little car.


If you are interested in more details of this cute little car you can check out the progress blog at http://theantiqueguy.blogspot.com I will be posting some pictures of our trip tomorrow.

8 comments:

Beth at Aunties said...

I ♥ how this quilt turned out! You are amazing! You are right, it goes perfectly with the car. I need start on a new baby quilt for our little guy who is due in 5 weeks.
My brother in law restores old cars and shows them all over also.
It was his son who just got married in Manti.
The couple, Nathan and Jen are now back at school in good old Tucson.:) Nathan is getting a doctorate in Optic engineering and she is getting a masters in speech pathology. I did hear they spent a few nights of their honeymoon with our own newlyweds in Colorado! It cracked us up. These are cousins who truly should have been twins!

Jen has a degree in dance and there was a ton of salsa dancing before the temple sealing! It was a first for all of us;)!!!

I didn't mean for this to be a book! :-)

Hugs!
*C*

Heidi said...

Great Job Tricia and Gary! You are both sooo amazing.

Dionne said...

WOW! That is awesome! I love that you found the perfect fabric, and the perfect pattern to go with that spectacular car. Thanks for posting the story and a picture of the car as well!
Cheers,
Dionne

Sabrina said...

The quilt is absolutely gorgeous. Well done!

Anonymous said...

Wow that one's neat! It kind of does a trick on your eyes.

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

I love the look of the quilt! I like how it has the gold tones-I bet it looks striking with the natural wood!! Wish I could of seen it in person-Nice Job mom

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

Oh bytheway-Love the background looks so elegant-

Christy said...

Great job mom! It looks perfect with the car! Your hubby did a great job in restoring that car and the quilt matches perfectly!!!