Monday, March 23, 2009

Lap Quilt #1

We finished completely one of the two lap quilts that we started last week. It was for a birthday gift for a dear friend. She is celebrating a monumental birthday this year.
Here it is all bound and ready to be loved.

With a little peek at the backing.

And the classic folded picture, which we love!

The only thing that makes this picture better is to have been washed and dried first. I didn't do that because it is a gift.

I got the inspiration for this quilt from my favorite blogger, Crazy Mom Quilts. It is her stacked chinese coin quilt featured here, with a couple of changes which I will explain. Also while you are over to the Moda Bake shop, peruse the whole site, what a fabulous wealth of inspiration and instruction!

So crazymomquilts, quilt was sized for a baby size. I wanted something a tad bigger for a tv quilt, or lap quilt size. We used to of the Moda Candy Kiss Charm packs, which I purchased here, We cut them per CMQ instructions, but didn't use one of the charms, it was a solid off white and was exactly like our background fabric, just slightly different in color. We put two charms together and every third coin was a solid piece of background. I made my longer (I think it is too long and would shorten it next time) and added another row. I made this quilt with a daughter, it was a fun project to work on and we enjoyed completing a project together. This pattern is quilt and easy. Although having a charm pack with coordinating fabrics in 36+ prints is definately a great thing, this could be done with scraps and be absolutely beautiful. We used an off white quilters cotton from JoAnn's as our backgroud. The backing also was a JoAnn's print that matched and coordinates perfectly!

7 comments:

Beth at Aunties said...

The quilt turned out darling! I loved the heart stitching. I always like to take a quilt to the movies with me...because the threaters are so cold.
Cute colors! I ams ure she will LOVE it!

I am doing some comenting tonight before I go to bed and try to sleep. I slept all day!

It is great you and your daughter are quilting together! we have another grand baby coming in September:) We will soon find out the gender and then I will be stitching a love quilt for this little one. This will be our son's (third child)fifth baby! He is our son who lives in Meridian.
The blessing dress was precious. I too, hope you are here to witness Zuri's own tiny daughter adorned in it for her blessing.:-)

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

I love it!! I love all the white, what a cute quilt!

Sabrina said...

It's absolutly beautiful! You both make a great team.

April Garvin said...

That came out great!! I love it! You are seriously amazing!

Puhlman said...

You amaze me Trish. You are so talented. Did your mom teach you to sew? WOW. I can't even say enough about all the projects you do and the early morning seminary. You are a go getter. Now if I could do half that amount I would be happy.

Puhlman said...

Trish
I am almost over the cutting the curls. But when I look at it still makes me sad but it really isn't the biggest trial or challenge and seem so insignifant compared to a lot of things in this life. I did so well and held it together with Zach when they thought they found something with his heart yet I cry and cry when my 2 year olds curls are gone. Doesn't make sense. I did get to listen to the first conference and am taking the five kids hiking to get out the wiggles and go get some icecream and bring it home to put on the brownies so we can enjoy the second half of today. THanks for your words. It will be funny. I know I will laugh soon. I almost do when I look at her. SHe is so lopsided. :)

--- Ruth --- RuRebo --- said...

I love this wonderful quilt!