Sunday, June 29, 2008

Why I Quilt

I thought maybe I would post a bit more about myself, although that is not my forte' at all. I will give it a go, here it goes.

I have a fabulous husband who supports my addiction to fabric and mediums to create. He is one of my biggest supports and fans. I can always count on him to give me his honest opinion about a quilt or creation. He really loved the Orange Crush quilt from the beginning, I did too. It was when I started adding the orange and aqua that I got a bit scared, but it all worked out.
I have two sons and two daughters, all as different as can be....how does that happen that they all were raised in the same home, but have such different takes on life? They have great spouses. We have 4 absolutely adorable grandkids, we are not prejudice, they are adorable! I think there might be days when their parents think otherwise, but such is the way and they can always count on Gramma and Papa. We have two more babies coming this summer and fall, we are so excited as they are close by.

My love of sewing comes from a long line of women who create! My mother, grandmother and great grandmothers. I am very fortunate. I have embroidered blocks that my great grandmother embroidered that have set into baby quilts, just need to find time to hand quilt them. I have another set of flowers she did that I want to do the same thing with them.
One of my great grandmothers came across the ocean on a ship with her younger brother when she was 9, to have religious freedom. She sewed to support herself and send money back home so her parents could join them. She was gifted beyond belief, what she could do with all the gadgets and beautiful fabrics we have now! I feel blessed to be able to have this ability to create, can't imagine my life without it. Thankful that I have a very supportive husband who also loves to create.
I am excited to join the world of blogging, I hope to be able to express myself here in another form and share my love of creating with you.
Quilt hugs
Tricia

4 comments:

Candace said...

You have a rich heritage, and I can see why you are proud and thankful. A rich life is possible for everyone, but having good parents and forebearers surely gives us a boost. Those of us who are fortunate don't have to overcome so many obstacles in life.
I am certainly thankful for my parents and the start they gave me.
I guess that I am feeling sentimental today. Keep up the good work on your blog.

Lurline said...

Hi Tricia,
Certainly hope my little bit of advice helped - see what great fun it is to hear from people! I know it is not easy, but the more you participate, the easier it gets.
I feel sure you have can take lots of lovely photos of your forebearers' work - would be fun to see.
'Bye for now - Lurline.

Pattie D said...

Lurline,
Yes your advice was very good! Thank you. I actually don't have much but will get around to hand stitching these baby quilts and post pictures, that is the good thing about a blog, it kind of makes you a tad accountable for what you do!

Christy said...

I am so glad you have this blog to share your quilts! I loved the Winnie the Pooh quilt and diaper bag you made me when Madisen was born! It is one of my favorites and I use it everyday! Thanks for sharing that story of one of your great grandmothers!